The exhibition complex was officially opened in 1939 as the "All-Union Agricultural Exhibition" (VSHV) and operated until 1941. Its predecessor was the All-Russian Agricultural and Handicraft Exhibition, organized in 1923 in Moscow on the Vorobyovy Gory . In 1941, the exhibition operated only 1 month and 5 days. During the Great Patriotic War, the exposition and the library of VSHV were evacuated to Chelyabinsk [the source did not specify 739 days]. The exhibition was reopened only in 1954 after reconstruction, which was started in 1950. In 1959 the complex was redesigned and received a new name - "Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy of the USSR" (VDNH USSR). In 1992-2014 the complex was called the All-Russian Exhibition Center (VVC). May 14, 2014 the exhibition was returned to its historical name - VDNH (without the "USSR").
The territory of VDNH is rich in various architectural monuments, many of which are known all over the world. Created in the Soviet era, they are a monument of the Soviet era, a model of the dominant architectural views at different times.
These include the monument "Worker and Collective Farm Girl" by sculptor Vera Mukhina and architect Boris Iofan (currently installed on the recreated pavilion of 1937 at the northern entrance of the Exhibition of Economic Achievements), fountains "Friendship of the Peoples of the USSR" and "Stone Flower", pavilions of the Ukrainian SSR, Uzbek USSR, Mechanization and electrification of agriculture of the USSR (Space).
Near the Khovanskiy gate VDNH there is a building VNIITE - the All-Russia institute of a technical aesthetics (the native land futurodzajna). On the territory of the exhibition there is a cinema "Circular Cinema Panorama". Outside the exhibition grounds, not far from its main entrance, is the monument to the Conquerors of the Cosmos and the Cosmonauts Alley.